YONKERS, NY – July 19, 2022 – Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano announced today the City of Yonkers will designate several locations across the city as Cooling Centers during this week’s forecasted heat wave, as temperatures are expected to reach 90+ degrees combined with high levels of humidity.
“As we enter a forecasted heat wave this week, we will make Cooling Centers available to all residents in need of a cool place to rest and stay hydrated,” said Mayor Spano. “I especially encourage our city’s older adults, residents with medical conditions and those working outside to please stay safe, check on one another and utilize a Cooling Center located nearest to you if needed.”
Each Cooling Center will be equipped with seating, water and air conditioning. The following locations will be open as Cooling Centers during specified hours for all residents:
435 Riverdale Avenue
Charles Cola Community Center
945 N Broadway
Bernice Spreckman Community Center
777 McLean Avenue
Nodine Community Center
140 Fillmore Street
Yonkers Riverfront Library
One Larkin Center
Tuesday & Wednesday, 9:00AM-8:00PM
Yonkers Crestwood Library
16 Thompson Street
Tuesday & Wednesday, 10:00AM-5PM
To ensure safety, the Mayor is also advising of heat safety precautions residents should take during periods of extreme heat:
- If you have air conditioning already installed, make sure it works properly before the use.
- Install window air conditioners snugly; insulate them if necessary. Check your home’s air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors, such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, between windows and drapes to reflect heat back outside.
- Install weather stripping on your home’s doors and windowsills to keep cool air in and hot air out.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings or louvers, which can reduce the heat entering a home by up to 80 percent.
- Keep storm windows in place year-round.
- If you don’t have air conditioning, open your windows during the coolest part of the day and keep fresh air moving around your home with circulating fans.
- Drink plenty of cool non-alcoholic liquids, especially water.
- Protect your face and head with a wide-brimmed hat, and wear light-colored clothing to reflect sunlight (dark clothing more readily absorbs sunlight).
- Keep pets indoors and refill their water bowls frequently.
For more information on Yonkers Cooling Centers or for any additional assistance, please call the Mayor’s 24/7 Help Line at (914)377-HELP.